Home » Interview Report

Interview Report

An Engineer’s Day is Anything But Easy: Interview With Pasram Dipchand

It takes a whole lot of work to become a certified mechanical engineer, and that much more venturing out into the real world post graduation. I was lucky enough to interview a friend of mine from the gym, Pasram Dipchand, who prior to asking, did not know was a Mechanical Engineer(ME). He attended the New York City College of Technology, and graduated in December of 2017. While in college, he majored in mechanical engineering to which he earned a bachelor’s degree, as well as minor in Applied Sciences, having an associate’s degree. A diligent student coming out of Hillcrest High School and going into college, his mind was set in stone on becoming an engineer; either mechanical or electrical, because his father inspired him, who at the time had his own engineering company, and gave young Pasram the hope of one day having his own company. I quickly realized that when it comes to being a Mechanical Engineer, absolutely nothing is guaranteed in terms of expectations, and the results all depend on how the engineer reacts, and adapts at any given time.

Although this is not his first job post graduation, Pasram works as an Engineering Technician at the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). On a daily basis, engineering technicians like my interview subject performs a variety of tasks. For example, prepare drawings and maps from data with or without sketches; review and interpret drawings and specifications; perform inspections and tests; participate in routine surveys and assist surveyors by performing various tasks; make calculations which may require the application of geometric, trigonometric, algebraic principles and formulas, and techniques; prepare reports, and memos. After hearing this long list of incredible tasks that someone I simply say “Hi and bye” too at the gym, I was tempted to ask what was the hardest part of pursuing a ME degree since what might be tough for him could also give me a hard time; and to my surprise it was not the length of time attaining a bachelor’s degree, but  to deal will all the sleepless night that’s and staying up to study for tests specifically in his maths and engineering classes.

Moreover, a very shocking thing I learned  while interviewing Pasram was the amount of verbal as well as written communication a ME does on a daily basis. In terms of verbal communication, he stated that “It would be very hard doing my job without talking to others, because that’s what we do in order to resolve any given task”. As described before, many of the tasks performed by engineer technicians such as assisting surveyors and reviewing and interpreting  specifications almost always require some form of verbal communication with coworkers and supervisor, and out in the field communicating with the public. Likewise, even more important than verbal communication is writing!.

Writing is a very important part of Pasram’s jobs, he said he must perform writing task 80% of the time, and while performing inspection, he also take notes of measurements throughout his day. The need for writing is always there because every day he has to send emails to coworkers about  updates and work in progress.

One of the main problems anyone in any field encounters is finding a job after graduating. This is because companies look for people with experience, and so my interviewer stressed the importance of finding and participating in internships, all in all just to gain experience under your belt, so when it is time to look for a job, you will be more well rounded as a candidate. In addition to this advice, I asked him what are the advantages of being an engineering tech and he swiftly said that being in such a field exposes you to so many things every day, things you never thought you would know the day before, “ makes me want to always  capitalize on any opportunity I get to better my career by always keeping up with the new trend in the engineering world.” Lastly, he advised me to take communication classes in college, because it really prepares you to not only speak and communicate, but to also critically think and being able to understand the world around you.

Walking away from this interview, I am reassured about making the right decision in terms of career choice. I have always wanted to become a mechanical engineer because it is a very adaptable profession that allows the engineer to move in many other engineering fields with just one degree. Although it is far from easy to attain having to go through the Professional Engineering exam and much more, Mr. Dipchand gave me the courage and positive mind set that well yes! This is achievable. One day, I look forward to working with individuals like Pasram Dipchand, my gym buddy, my fellow engineer.